Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Recipe: Frittata with Asparagus, Bell Peppers and Parmigiano



I know, it's been awhile. I have pretty much just been working and going outside since it has been ridiculously nice out! Which has definitely helped motivate me to get outside and walk. That has been the most positive thing to happen lately, which also sucks considering it means global warming is happening really quickly. But enough about my fears about the end of the world. 

I've tried a few recipes from the 400 Calorie Fix book and cookbook and they have all been delicious. I haven't been able to get all my meals to be 400 calories yet, and it's been hard not to snack. But I'm working on it! I have been frustrated lately because I have been more active and most days have kept my calories between 1600 and 1800. However, I have not lost anything, not even a pound. I know the scale isn't the only way to measure success, but unfortunately I haven't really felt a difference in how clothes fit either. I have been feeling better, which is awesome, but it's frustrating. I thought it might have to do with a medication I was taking, and now I just started a different one that should be better, so we'll see. 

Now onto this delicious frittata. It is from the 400 Calorie Fix Cookbook, and each wedge is only 270 calories! This plus a 100 calorie Thomas English Muffin with Land O'Lakes Light Butter with Canola Oil was only 420 calories. 

Frittata with Asparagus, Basil, and Parmigiano Reggiano
(Adapted from the 400 Calorie Fix Cookbook)
Makes 4 servings

  • 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 4 large eggs (the recipe also called for 4 large egg whites, but I hate wasting yolks. If you use the extra egg whites it will make it more light and fluffy)
  • 1/2 cup fat-free milk
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (recipe calls for Pecorino Romano, either works!)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces

1. Preheat the broiler (or oven to 450 degrees if you don't have a broiler to use)

2. Place the potato in a saucepan with enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, or until the potato cubes are tender but still hold their shape. Drain and set aside.

3. Meanwhile, beat together the eggs, milk, cheese, basil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. 

4. Heat the oil in a 10 inch broiler proof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften. Add the asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir int he potatoes and cook for 1 minute. 

5. Reduce the heat to medium, pour in the egg mixture, and stir gently to combine. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the eggs are set. Transfer the skillet to the broiler and cook 5 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes to brown the top. Let the frittata stand for 5 minutes before cutting into 4 wedges.


Enjoy! 




No comments:

Post a Comment